Unfortunately, we don’t recommend spot fixing for the simple reason that it’s actually very difficult to sand out a small area where there might be an issue, such as a bubble, hair or even a bit of dust that settled into your wet resin. It's almost impossible to get a seamless finish by pouring a fresh patch of resin on top of the original resin coat. Instead, we recommend that you sand down the entire surface and pour another well mixed, well measured coat of ArtResin over the entire piece for an even, flawless finish!
How To Apply A Second Coat Of Epoxy Resin:
First, sand down the entire surface of your piece with coarse sandpaper ( we use 80 grit sandpaper here at ArtResin ). Sanding will not only get out the imperfection, but will also serve to provide some tooth between the first and second layers.
It will look very scuffed in the short term, but don't worry, once you pour the second coat over top, all of those sanding marks will disappear.
Wipe away any of sanding debris before you pour your next coat of well measured, well mixed ArtResin over the top, then cover with a dustcover to make sure you avoid any of those imperfections a second time and you should be good to go!
💡TIP: ArtResin self-levels at about an 1/8" of an inch. You can pour a little deeper if you're pouring into a vessel like a silicone mold, but you want to be careful not to pour deeper than 1/4" for a couple of reasons: first, it's hard for bubbles to release at anything thicker than that and second, the resin can heat up in ways you don't want if you pour too thick. Keep in mind that if you pour ArtResin deeper than 1/8", it will take longer to cure.
Do you want to learn more about troubleshooting epoxy resin? Read our guides below:
- ArtResin’s Troubleshooting Guide
- Tips To Prevent Bubbles
- Is It Possible To Overstir My ArtResin?
- How Do I Remove Epoxy Resin Drips?
- Is It Possible To Over Torch My ArtResin?
- Epoxy Resin Non Hardening
- How To Prevent Bendy Resin
- How To Fix Soft, Sticky Spots In My Resin?
- How Can I Avoid Getting Dimples In My Epoxy Resin?
- How Do I Get Bubbles Out Of Epoxy Resin?
- How To Reduce Dust Before Your Resin?
- How Can I Get Rid Of Bubbles In My Cured Resin?
- How Can I Fix Dust In My Epoxy Resin?
- How Can I Deal With Epoxy Resin Drips After They've Dried?
- What Happens If I Overtorch Resin?
- Why Does My Resin Look Milky?
- Why Is My Epoxy Resin Still Sticky?
- Why Is My Resin Bendy?
- Why Are There Bare Spots In My Cured Resin?
- What Does Silicone Do To Resin?
ArtResin: Made For Artists, By Artists