With all the bad press BPA has received in recent years, we are very happy to report that ArtResin epoxy resin is BPA-free!
But let's back it up a bit... what is BPA?
According to factsaboutbpa.org:
- "Bisphenol A (BPA) is an extraordinarily well-studied, building-block chemical used primarily to manufacture durable epoxy resins and strong, clear polycarbonate plastic . . . The unique attributes of epoxy resins and polycarbonate plastic provide high-performance benefits in a wide array of consumer and industrial products that perform well in tough settings"
- The main concern around BPA is that it "is used to make materials that come in contact with food, which are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."
ArtResin users need not be concerned about BPA in our epoxy resin formula for 3 distinct reasons:
BPA-Free Epoxy Resin
1) BPA, as well as another material called Epichlorohydrin (ECH), are precursors to epoxy, however they are fully reacted in the process of making the epoxy resin, which means that only trace amounts are left over after the manufacturing process. These trace amounts are so infinitesimally low that we are able to say our epoxy resin is BPA-free. Furthermore, both parts of the ArtResin formula—the resin and the hardener—fully react when combined (meaning there are no VOCs given off during the chemical reaction, or at any other time for that matter), so there is no exposure to either BPA or ECH for ArtResin users.
BPA & Food Contact
2) The main concern around BPA is related to bodily intake where BPA has come into contact with food, such as the epoxy resins used to line canned food. ArtResin has been tested against worldwide standards and is found to be fully inert once cured. In other words, cured ArtResin will not leach anything into food that comes into contact with it and "may be safely used as the food-contact surface of articles intended for use in... holding food" and "intended for repeat food-contact use" as per FDA CFR 175.300. (here's the exact FDA link and you can check out the ArtResin® SDS for further details.)
3) Research from the FDA, Health Canada, American Chemistry Council and other bodies worldwide strongly supports the safety of BPA at typical exposure levels, although this is a moot point given the first two points above.
So go ahead and get creative without concern! ArtResin is safe to use :)
For more information about BPA in epoxy resins from the American Chemistry Council, click here.
Find BPA-Free Epoxy Resin
Wondering where to buy BPA-free epoxy resin? Look no further than ArtResin, your trusted partner in artistic endeavors.
Do you want to learn more about epoxy resin and safety? Read our guides below: