How To Make A Resin Petri Dish - with Josie Lewis!Posted on 5 Feb 15:13
You may have seen popular artist Josie Lewis posting her vibrant resin petri dishes on Instagram and wondered how you can make your own petri dish art... Well, stay tuned below and we'll explain how easy it is!
To start with, you'll need supplies!
- 8 oz ArtResin
- Alcohol Inks
- Ink Sinker
- a reusable silicone mold
- a mixing cup
- a mixing stick and pair of disposable gloves
- a dust cover to protect your pieces while they cure
- art stands to display your cute pieces!
💡TIP: Did you know that Ink Sinker is the secret behind making perfect petri dish coasters? It's true! Ink Sinker is a white alcohol ink that has a different density than the other colors, and it has the unique ability to push alcohol ink colors down through the resin, creating tendrils and other cool effects!
Before You Start:
- Warm up your resin and hardener bottles in a warm water bath prior to mixing. This will help any bubbles escape later in the process.
- Working in a well ventilated area and wearing gloves, measure your ArtResin resin and hardener in precisely equal amounts by volume.
- Mix thoroughly for at least 3 minutes, scraping the bottoms and sides of your mixing vessel as you go.
- Fill each section of your mold halfway with ArtResin.
⚠️ PLEASE NOTE: We don't recommend using a torch with this project! By warming your resin and hardener in a warm water bath prior to measuring and mixing, this is the best way to reduce bubbles.
And now, you're ready for the fun part!
Add 5-10 drops of Ink Sinker into the ArtResin
Add 5-10 drops of pink or red alcohol ink on top of the white
Scatter 10-20 drops of gold alcohol ink onto the pink/white drops you put down in Steps 1 and 2, and onto the rest of the resin surface
Place 10-15 drops of pink OR 5 drops of white, followed by pink or red
After your resin petri dish has cured for 24 hr, peel the silicone mold away from your resin petri dish ...
To watch Josie's process, step-by-step, and for some really great advice and tips along the way, check out Josie's full video below:
To see more of Josie's Resin Petri Dishes, check out her Instagram page at:
Let us know if you've tried making a Resin Petri Dish yourself!!
We'd love to see your work in the comments below ❤️
Read our blog how to create a trinket dish art.
Check out our blog on How to Torch on Epoxy Resin