How Is ArtResin Non-Toxic? When Is It NOT Non-Toxic?Posted on 12 Apr 11:22
ArtResin is non-toxic when used as directed. This means that if you follow the instructions for use, there is no cause for concern or risk to one’s health. We've had our product evaluated by the American Society for Testing and Materials; ArtResin conforms to ASTM D4236: Safe for Home Use.
This is entirely unique for an epoxy resin, as most formulas require scary warning labels to let users know the product is poisonous, carcinogenic and/or hazardous to the environment.
How is it possible that ArtResin is safe when used as directed?
The ArtResin formula is an extremely pure formula made from the purest raw materials. There are no solvents or cheap diluents that other epoxy resin brands use to stretch the material. As a result, everything reacts in the chemical reaction leaving nothing behind. This means there are no VOCs or fumes coming off the product into the air, which can cause respiratory distress and other serious health problems.
So, what are the instructions for use that one must follow?
Measure the resin and hardener accurately at a 1:1 ratio and stir for three minutes. Wear gloves and work in a well ventilated space as you do this. The one safety icon we are required to have on our bottles is the exclamation icon to let users know that some people can be allergic to epoxy and it can irritate their skin or cause a rash (this is very rare, however we are required to declare this on our packaging). This is why we must recommend the gloves (plus, it’s sticky so it makes sense from a very basic practical perspective as well). Providing you are working in a well-ventilated space, ArtResin is safe for home use as there are no VOCs or fumes (again, because there are no solvents). See our SDS for more information. We are careful to say that ArtResin is non-toxic WHEN USED AS DIRECTED because obviously any epoxy resin is inedible, and sometimes people lack common sense and equate non-toxicity with edibility.
For the record, ArtResin is NOT edible or potable!
ArtResin’s Non-Toxic Status Can Change With The Addition Of Foreign Products.
If an artist adds foreign products to the ArtResin formula, this can alter the non-toxic status of the mixture. For example, the current trend of adding alcohol ink to resin certainly looks cool and colourful, however alcohol is a solvent… so when artists add alcohol to ArtResin, the product can no longer be classified as non-toxic. Similarly, ArtResin is non-flammable in its liquid form when used as directed, and we do recommend using an Artist’s Torch to pop bubbles. Running a flame quickly and systematically over the entire resin surface will eliminate any trapped bubbles and will not cause a flammability risk, HOWEVER this changes if foreign products have been added to the mixture. Alcohol is flammable and will compromise the non-flammability of virgin liquid ArtResin. For this reason we developed ResinTint, our non-toxic, non-flammable premium colorant for ArtResin. If you're looking for a colorant for your ArtResin and you want to preserve the non-toxic, non-flammable nature of the formula, then ResinTint is the perfect option!