Art Lesson For kids!Posted on 31 Mar 13:03
If you’re like us with kids at home, you might be looking for some educational activities to help keep your kids stimulated and busy. Rebecca was a visual arts teacher for 10 years before creating ArtResin, and we wanted to share with you one of her lesson plans that you can do at home with your kids!
How to draw like Picasso:
An art lesson for kids on disproportion
Children tend to believe that good art has to portray realism. With this project, we can help them break down that assumption and allow them to create without a fear of failure.
This lesson will focus on disproportion, a key element of the principles of design.
Here’s a quick run down:
- Start by having your child draw two different shapes on either side of a folded page.
- Walk them through the process of adding all the features of the face and encourage them to try wacky combinations.
- Finish the drawings by adding a body and any last details they can think of.
- On a new larger page, have your child copy their favourite character.
- Have your child color in their character on the larger page and if possible, allow them to choose from a variety of mediums.
- Finally, have them name the character and sign the character’s name on the page. You might also ask them questions about the character; What does this person like to eat? Where does this character live?
We hope this project inspires you and your little ones to get creative during these challenging times. Art is a great way for all of us to stretch our minds, be present, and learn something new.